Friday, July 29, 2011

Yummy in my Tummy Cookies


I currently love working in an office because I have gotten to try some new recipes and feed them to my coworkers. These cookies turned out especially well and I hope you'll be tempted to whip some up this weekend.

I was inspired to make the original batch of these cookies after getting some unsweetened coconut from the store and forgetting why I bought it in the first place... have you ever done that with a specialty ingredient? Well, I had the unsweetened coconut and some dark chocolate bars, so I decided to chop up the chocolate and whip up a variation on a recipe I found at 101 Cookbooks.

But the next time I made it, I was inspired by these adorable teeeeeny marshmallows from the bulk store! Considering my love for smore's, it only seemed appropriate to mix it into the dough  with chocolate chips (which kind of reminds me a little of graham crackers, but fluffier).  These definitely pack a sweet punch, because the marshmallows melt into the cookie and ooze out. Delicious!

Smores Cookies
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks

1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour 
1/2 cup (toasted) wheat germ (I toasted mine quickly in a frying pan before mixing the dough together)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup tiiiiny marshmallows (or chopped up mini marshmallows)
1 cup chocolate chips


  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper
  • Toast the wheat germ in a frying pan if you bought raw wheat germ (like Bob's Red Mill, like I have). 
  • Whisk together the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  • Beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy.  Add the sugar until it has an frosting-like consistency. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add flour in two increments and mix well.
  • Mix in the marshmallows and chocolate chips by hand.
  • Drop dough onto the pan in 1 tablespoon increments.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes.
  • These also freeze well and take only a few minutes more when frozen to bake.


I really liked the texture of these- pillowy and soft. Plus, I felt a little healthier with the wheat germ and whole wheat flour. Its not a super sweet cookie, so you may want to add more chocolate chips if you crave a sweeter cookie.


The other variation I really loved used unsweetened coconut (although I'm sure using sweetened coconut and slightly less sugar would work as well) and dark chocolate chunks. Kind of like a Mounds candy bar!




Yumm..... I love cookies, especially when the batter makes a ton so you can freeze some for cookie satisfaction in minutes!






No comments: