Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recent Kitchen Adventures

Last night, Jonathan and I made some homemade pizza (using the pizza yeast with the recipe on the package- wonderful!) and some sweet peppers and rosemary on my side and bacon and extra cheese on his side. It was SO delicious. Every time I make home made pizza, I always regret ever ordering carry-out pizza.


But today, I made some biscuits from scratch for the 52 Weeks of Baking: Week 15 swap. I got the recipe from the Magnolia's cookbook. Just some standard Southern biscuits. So simple to make, but so delicious!


White Lily Cream Biscuits
Makes 24 (1-inch) biscuits
Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups White Lily self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons melted butter (optional)

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F. 

Place the flour in the mixing bowl.  Add the heavy cream and mix with a spoon until it starts to come together and forms a wet sticky dough. 

Place on a lightly floured surface, lightly flour the top of the dough and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. 

Cut the biscuits with a 1-inch biscuit cutter, place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, about 8-12 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and serve immediately.

That made me thirsty, so I made another batch of Iced Moroccan Mint Tea (in an effort to use some of my fresh peppermint!)


I got modified the recipe from Our Red House. Its pretty simple, but tasty.

Iced Moroccan Mint Tea (modified)

Ingredients:

3 green tea bags
1 cup fresh peppermint or spearmint
3 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
4 cups boiling water

Pour the boiling water over the tea bags and fresh mint. Let steep for 10 minutes. Strain and then mix in the sugar while still hot and then place in the fridge to chill before serving. Then enjoy!

It makes about 3 servings so it's perfect to make every other day and have fresh tea.

Oh, and I tried to recreate some fantastic juice from Ecuador (jugo de sandia or watermelon juice). It was so simple and turned out great because our watermelons were so sweet to begin with!


I wanted to make it look like something special :) but all it is is mashed up watermelon without the pulp. Super easy and in the blender.

I hope you enjoy these recipes :) let me know if you use them!

No comments: