Friday, October 15, 2010

Fall Break

Yesterday, as the beginning of my fall break, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen! After running around and getting some errands done, I settled in and bought a 16 pound pumpkin from Boone Hall Farms (it was the smallest baking pumpkin they had and it was only $3 or so!) And then I proceeded to follow this recipe and spend over 3 hours making 15 cups of pumpkin puree. I have NO IDEA what to do with all of it, but I froze most of it and a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving sounds like a good plan!

I also made some butternut squash puree and I have cleaned up the pumpkin seeds to toast tomorrow.

I also made this one-bowl blackberry cake. It was SO GOOD! It sunk in the middle for some reason (I think my oven gets hotter than it says it does and it cooked too fast).

See- it sunk in the middle :(
 I've already enjoyed being at home with a full kitchen and more recipe testing will be happening this weekend :)


4 comments:

Meri M. said...

Ooops, I can only use frozen berries for that one... no more blackberries in the woods at this time of the year!

Julie said...

Meri-

I thawed some of my frozen blackberries overnight and it still tasted great!

Madison Mayberry said...

Julie -

So glad you found, and enjoyed, the cake recipe. It's one of my faves because it's so darn easy! :)

Fun blog. I look forward to following!

madison

Unknown said...

OH MY!!!! HOW OOOBERLY amazing that you cook! I needed one of you around,.,, I am stuck on you now,...Finally

BTw - - I appreciate your patience!