Friday, June 24, 2011

Cake: Or How I Impressed Everyone I Work With

I am so excited that one of my friends from my church at school is getting married this weekend and I was so thrilled when she asked me to make a regular sized cake to help out with their reception. The biggest problem I had with that was deciding which cake recipe to try! 

And it didn't take me long to decide on this Chocolate Blackberry Cake from Always with Butter. 


This cake was AMAZING. The chocolatey cake part was moist, the filling was rich and delicious, and the chocolate marshmallow frosting was unexpected and perfect for the cake. Although I'm not sure why it looks like there was no center and the filling isn't showing up, but it was there and it was fantastic.

And, like a good cook, I just couldn't serve anything that I hadn't made before, so I used it as an excuse to bake up a tester for my co-workers. 


Everyone raved about it and I've been getting compliments all week on it. Yay! I have a place to take all of my baking now- living alone is so difficult when you want to bake up something yummy and not eating all of it!

But other than my baking a cake (and checking off one of my to-do's for the year: bake and decorate a cake- frosting is more difficult than I really want to deal with on a regular basis), I've been doing a lot of the same thing for dinner:

Start: Rice


Then, add veggies




Then, add protein.




Eat and repeat! I really love eating my meals in bowls- I'm not sure why, but it just makes some elements feel more cohesive. 


How has your summer routine shaped up? Mine's still crazy, but I've at least got dinner basics handled! Have a great weekend! 




No comments: