Friday, September 3, 2010

Quinoa Veggies

I finally got around to trying this recipe that I saw over the summer. And I'm converted to a believer for quinoa :) I used to think it was just strange and looked squiggly (which it does, but I just had a bad experience in Ecuador!) and I'm so glad I conquered that prejudice against quinoa.
Quinoa Veggies from Vegan Lunchbox Around the World
Ingredients
  • 1 c quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 2 c vegetable broth or water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ½ red onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • ½ red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 medium zucchini, diced
  • ½ c frozen corn kernels
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1.       Place the quinoa and vegetable broth in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat to low and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
2.       Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan or high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring, until the onion is just soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds, then add the zucchini and corn. Cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
3.       Add the cooked quinoa and stir well, toss with the fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4.       Serve warm or cold.
It will definitely be a new recipe staple! Oh, and feel free to add whatever vegetables you want :) I added some yellow squash that I had and it was wonderful. Its a pretty versatile concept!

No comments: