Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 3: Otavalo Craft Market

Yesterday, we adventured to La Mitad del Mundo (the middle of the world) and La Capilla del Hombre (the chapel of man- for and by Oswaldo Guayasamin) and I got some great pictures which I will eventually post when the internet is faster.

But today, we went to the world famous Otavalo market, you can get more information here. Its one of the biggest, if not the biggest, indigenous and artisan market in South America. And it was WONDERFUL. Everything is so much less expensive and everything looked great. A friend on the trip got an alpaca blanket for $18! Crazy! I just ended up with a hat, a bag, and some colorful souvenirs, but I won't spoil the surprise for my friends who follow me. And the food looked so delicious, but they advise that gringas (foreigners) not eat the fruit or vegetables unless they can be peeled or boiled because of differing bacteria. But I love how limes are central to cooking here (and drinks) because lime is one of my favorite flavors.

Here are some of my pictures of the market!




I hope you enjoy these pictures! 

No comments: